Only in Bucheon’s Korea Manhwa Museum! Explore the diversity and colors of Korean comics, enjoy a 4D adventure ride, get your little ones caricatured by real artists…
Located in Bucheon about 25km south-west from Downtown Seoul, the Korea Manhwa Museum (한국만화박물관) – formerly know as Gyujanggak Cartoon Museum – is a 4-level multi-cultural venue dedicated to the Manhwa art and culture. You may easily also visit the nearby Aiins World Miniature Park on the same day trip.
The comics and cartoons art started in the early 1900’s in Korea but became widely popular only after the Japanese occupation ended in 1945. Dedicated libraries and comics-shops were offering a large array of manhwa, ranging from political satire to children stories through sci-fi and other genres. The history of manhwa and the variety of genres are very well displayed throughout the exhibition. More about the culture can be read from Korea Blog.
The museum is spacious and modern. In addition to the temporary and permanent exhibitions, it accommodates various services and facilities including a cafe, art-and-craft workshop, comics-only library, and more.
There is a nice little folk-village reenactment just besides the Korean Manhwa museum, which provided an enjoyable bonus to our visit.
Things we liked best:
- Clean, fun and vividly cartoonesque restrooms – don’t miss them!
- Interactive and very well-displayed art exhibitions, including models of villages in the old days, giant comics books and characters, multimedia screens
- Creative corners providing manhwa-style drawing opportunities for all
- Fun 4D experience (the usual 3D vision + impressive seat moves and air vents effects) for an extra 1,000 KRW per person
- Seeing realtime works from caricaturists and getting the final piece of art back home
Opening hours: Tuesday~Sunday 10:00 ~ 18:00
Closed Mondays, New Year’s Day, Seollal, Chuseok
Admission: 5,000 KRW ; free under 3 years old
Family admission: 15,000 KRW for 2 adults + 2 children
How to get there: Samsan Gymnasium Station (Seoul Subway Line 7), Exit 5
The museum is just a 3 minute walk from the station.
Address: 529-2, Sang-dong, Wonmi-gu, Bucheon-si, Gyeonggi-do
경기도 부천시 원미구 길주로 1 (상동)
For localisation, see our Seoul Map for Kids and Families