More than one hundred thousand lotus lanterns lighting up Seoul night – don’t miss the magic Lotus Lantern Parade Saturday May 16th from 6PM
The 2015 edition of Yeon Deung Hoe 연등회 (Lotus Lantern Festival) will be held from May 15th to 17th with exhibition of traditional lanterns in various places such as Jogye-sa Temple or Bongeun-sa Temple.
The Lotus Lantern Parade stands out as the most colourful and memorable part of the festivity. This magical event draws participating crowds carrying tens of thousands of specially made, brightly lit lanterns in the shape of dragons, pagodas, white elephants, and lotus flowers down the street to the tune of Korean classical music. The procession is a must-see tradition both for kids and adults. The sidewalks along the parade route are always jam-packed with people, but if you come one hour before the start, you shall be able to find free seats along the main street.
Here is the detailed schedule:
- Exhibition of Traditional Lanterns: May 15 ~ 26 Jogye-sa or Bongeun-sa Temple
- Eoulim madang (Buddhist Cheer Rally): May 16 (Sat) 3:30 pm Dongguk University Stadium
- Lotus Lantern Parade: May 16 (Sat) 6:00 pm Jongno Street (Dongdaemun ~ Gwanghwamun Plaza)
- Hoehyang Hanmadang (Post-Parade Celebration): May 16 (Sat) 9:30 ~11:00 pm Gwanghwamun Plaza
- Traditional Cultural Events: May 17 (Sun) Noon ~ 7:00 pm Street in front of Jogye-sa Temple
- Cultural Performances: May 17 (Sun) Noon ~ 7:00pm Performance Stage on the street in front of Jogye-sa Temple
- Yeondeungnori (Final Celebration): May 17 (Sun) 7:00 ~ 9:00 pm Insa-dong ~ Street in front of Jogye-sa Temple
- Buddha’s Birthday Dharma Ceremony & Lantern Lighting: May 25 (Tue) Dharma Ceremony 10 am Jogye-sa Temple and all temples nationwide
For a wider selection of beautiful Parade pictures, see Flickr archives here.
Detailed information, itinerary and schedule available on Lotus Lantern festival official website.